Subject: [Leica] IMG: Things are Jumping at the Airport
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 14:45:59 -0700

Hi Jim,
Neat photo series. Over the years I have asked other photogs had they jumped
with a camera? Not many, you?
Myself, I have done any number of aerial photo assignments from fixed wing
aircraft with the door off. (The only way for best views and flight feeling!
Unless you're in a helicopter. :-)
Then it's really cool flying and shooting, obviously with the door off or
swung back and locked..:-) )
One day in June 1994 a bunch of us who were Commonwealth Games media prep
crew having lunch. When someone said to me somewhat quietly. ERGO! Me and
wearing hearing aids didn't actually hear what was said? When it was
repeated to me by an assistant, "You didn't hear what you & crew-chief are
doing on Saturday morning did you?" My response? "Oh play some stupid game
or something?"
"NO!" She said, "YOU ARE GOING TO JUMP OUT OF A PLANE WITH A PARACHAUTE ON
FOR FUN!!!"
Somewhat taken - a-back, I asked, "What are we doing on Saturday morning?"
"Well about eight of us, including "YOU!"  Are going to parachute jump just
for the hell of it! It'll be fun!"
Well me not known as a quitter once I commit. I didn't know how I was going
to explain this so called "fun event" to my dear wife Irene a few days after
I had just celebrated my 65th birthday and we had been married 50 some
years!!
So I badgered my oldest son to pick her --up on Saturday morning and tell
her you were taking her to the airport to see??? "Dad parachute jump from a
plane." Then he ducked quickly just in case. :-)
Yes she did come up and see me jump "and survive!" However??????????
As I was picking-up my chute and she arrived asking? "How are you?" Not a
twinkle of a smile on her face.
 I replied, "I'm cool, I'm great it was magic and I survived beautifully."
HER RESPONSE?" " I'm very glad" not a twinkle in her eyes nor on her face.
SHE RESPONDED: "
"If you should ever do this again and even though you land safely? Be
assured I shall kill you!" Turned around and walked away!  Leaving me
standing there alone. I've never jumped again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers,
Dr. Ted Grant OC  :-)

---

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Things are Jumping at the Airport)