Subject: [Leica] Tour of Hops Warehouse
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:51:39 -0700

I was out shoot around some of the fruit warehouses yesterday in search of
doors and windows.  I was stopped by the owner of Hollingberry Hops.  He was
just wondering what we were doing.  After a brief conversation, he mentioned
his son liked to take photos, so he went off and sent Will out.  We had a
great conversation.  Turns out he knows quiet a few of my former students.
He then said there were many interesting doors inside, and proceeded to take
me into the depths of the warehouse where they process, package and store
hops.  For those who do not know, Yakima produces 80% of the US hops, 2/3 of
which is exported to other countries.  Only Germany matches this production,
some years more, some years less, depending on weather.

So, we went through cold rooms and storage rooms and equipment rooms.
Learned the history of the building which was built in 1926, and the
Hollingberry family has owned it since 2003.  We went outside and chatted a
bit more, then he said the heck with his work, and took me into another
building for another historic tour.  I think we were together almost 2
hours.  I did not get a chance to see the building where they were actually
processing the hops.  Maybe another day.  It was a very interesting day, to
say the least.  There are hops farms just to the south of our house, and
when they harvest in the fall, there is quite an aroma.  I was glad to see
this aspect of the agricultural chain.

Here are a few shots from the buildings.

This is an old compressor coil setup that is not in use.  Lots of equipment
is not in use any more as they have installed newer more efficient stuff,
but they leave as much of the old as possible because both dad and son re
very much into the history of the buildings they own.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/HW/Hollingberry+Hops-8137-2.jpg.html
  It looks out of focus, but it is not.  View it large to see why.

An empty storage room where the raw hops are brought in the fall.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/HW/Hollingberry+Hops-8116-2.jpg.html

One of the many interesting doors in the place.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s16/HW/Hollingberry+Hops-8116-2.jpg.html

More later.

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

would ever have dared dream.? James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Tour of Hops Warehouse)