Subject: [Leica] Rented an SL and its lens for the WFMU Marathon (semi-review, photos)
From: jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 00:26:36 -0400

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
wrote:

> Nice. I have fond memory of public radio from our time in America, and
incredibly, we still have mugs from WHYY in Philadelphia from the early
90s. They have survived several international moves.

That's cool!  WHYY in Philadelphia is one of the better public radio
stations, producing some good shows (like Terry Gross's Fresh Air) which
get shared around the network.

WFMU, though - WFMU isn't a public radio station in any of the accustomed
senses of the word.  WFMU isn't part of those conventional public-radio
networks (NPR, PRI, APM), and proudly, belligerently sometimes, has nothing
like the style of public radio.  WFMU is a singularity (with a broad
international listenership, by the way).  It's completely freeform (which
is to say that each individual DJ plays or does what that DJ wants to play
or do - within the limits of US broadcast obscenity rules, of course).
There's so much variety that some new listeners are initially kind of
befuddled - because depending on whose slot they tune in for, they could
hear: 78 RPM records and Edison cylinders played on period equipment,
facemelting Nordic death metal, sincere folk singers, Japanese pop,
roadhouse honky-tonk, obscure 1970s pop/rock, straight-ahead rock and roll,
free jazz, twelve-tone modern "classical" music, hard bop, garage rock,
1980s-sounding jangle rock... or any of a few talk shows.

http://www.wfmu.org/table

One of the secrets to happy listenership is that once you identify your
favorite DJs - people whose taste frequently aligns with your own - you can
listen to their shows at your convenience, because shows at WFMU are
archives and playable on demand (via the website or via the Android or iOS
apps).

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/
http://www.wfmu.org/mobile.shtml

If any people here want to tell me (off list - I've done almost enough
plugging here) what kinds of music they like, I'll be glad to recommend a
few shows they might enjoy listening to.

And back partly on topic - I'll continue to drop pictures taken with the SL
in the previously-referred-to Flickr pile.   Some more added this evening:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/sets/72157665752167155

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Rented an SL and its lens for the WFMU Marathon (semi-review, photos))
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Rented an SL and its lens for the WFMU Marathon (semi-review, photos))