Subject: [Leica] Solar Power
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 09:25:44 -0800

John.  We do not use the electricity we generate directly.  What we generate
goes into the power grid.  When we are generating more than we are using,
our meter turns backwards, giving us a credit with the power company.  When
we are not generating more than we use, we are getting power from the grid
just like everyone else.  So, it really does not power anything in specific.
We are just another power plant on the grid when the sun is shining, and
just another consumer when it is not.

Here in Washington, the incentives are pretty good.  Until 2020, any
electricity we generate, excess or not, will earn us 54 cents/KWH that the
state will pay us at the end of the year, up to $5000, I think.  We should
generate between $3-4000 a year with our system.  And of course, any we
generate is deducted from our energy usage each month.  We can bank it for a
year.  So, during the sunny summer months we will have a fairly large credit
with the power company, and when late fall and winter comes around it
may/should be enough to offset our usage.  If there is any credit left in I
think April, it goes away.  We cannot carry it over to the next year.

With the Federal tax credit of 30%, the state incentive of 54 cents/KWH and
the reduction of our power bill, the payback period is projected to be about
4 years.

Aram