Subject: [Leica] Snow
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 19:07:07 -0500

One of the great mistakes of the Brits in settling the New World was in
assuming that all locations at similar latitudes had the same climate.? They
never realized that Maine, Canada and even Massachusetts were so cold in the
winter that your breath would freeze and leave you with icicle mustaches..
In my military service I was briefly stationed in Fort Churchill on Hudson
Bay, Canada. Polar bears wandered down the streets in winter.? Most
mechanical cameras, including Leicas, would freeze up unless they were
properly winterized. However when we lived north Wales at a similar latitude
palm trees grew in our back yard, all thanks to the Gulf Stream. For years
my wife tried to convince me that palm trees grew in Britain and Southwest
Norway. Now I believe her. True, they were not the stately Royal palms of
Miami Beach, but they are palms nevertheless with fronds and even small
coconut like seed pods.

Larry Z

+ + + +

Yes, John. weather is bizarre. Here at 53.28 degrees north, it was saying 14?
degrees Celsius (56 ) yesterday and when I was in the sea it was?
10.5 deg C and bearable. Thank you Gulf Stream. I think it might be a bit?
colder in Kamchatka, Russia and on Hudson Bay, Canada which are on roughly?
the same parallel...

Douglas