Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7 focus problem FIXED
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the lug)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:33:38 -0500

I posted a few weeks ago that my Ultron had stopped focusing, although it
was still coupling in the back and everything seemed to be moving properly,
the focus was way off. So, it sat on a shelf for a while and I switched to a
Summwhatnot 35 3.5 I had lying around while I tried to figure out what to
do. I realized how much I used the 35 and how useful the 1.7 aperture is ?
having to shoot at 3.5 seemed close to useless, so I thought about just
being a new Ultron, while picking up a new one i noticed that the barrel was
rock steady while mine had a little bit of play in it. Could this be it?

I looked at the lens on the shelf. There was a bottle of Ardbeg single malt
Islay scotch next to it.

So, I did the only sensible thing, I drank the scotch and took the lens
apart with a Dewalt drill and a precision phillips head screwdriver bit.

Behind the aperture ring I found three very loose screws that held the two
halves of the lens together. I tightened these down and spent the next four
hours trying to get the click-stop detente ball bering back in the right
place.  When that finally happened, the rest of the re-assembly was easy and
focusing was restored.

I?m posting this here for posterity.

kc

Tags: voigtlander ultron 1.7 focus issues barrel wobble loose screws DIY

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7 focus problem FIXED)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Voigtlander Ultron 35 1.7 focus problem FIXED)