Subject: [Leica] Reuters bans RAW
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:25:50 -0500

Ok we are agreeing more than I thought now I read the lower paragraph.
Needed to scroll down.

And actually in retrospect my logic is lacking in the example of stuff like
magazines like National Geographic once they went to color many decades ago.
Because it was all from slides and the photographer just handed in the
original slides.  Which were exposed for the highlights with the dark tones
going where they will. No prints made by the photographer of anybody else
the process was right from slide to printing plate.  Its possible they could
try to hold detail locally with some craft and art in the plate making
process. But that stuff is a mystery. The NG images were all rich and full
of detail. "slick". And still are today
The issue of cloning Zebras near Lions I don't think is what's being
discussed by Reuters here or what's being worried about.. They just want to
not get sued for people claiming their image they bought from them is not
"real".  As that's the big buzz on the time on the chat lists. They want all
their contributors acting like the guys with the flashes shooting the celebs
going down the red carpets. Shoot em and get then  on the wire five minutes
later.. That keeps the lawyers happy.

If they only knew the intensive air brushing that was done to every single
shot in the golden age of LIFE and LOOK.

On 11/19/15 9:58 PM, "Peter Klein" <boulanger.croissant at gmail.com> wrote:

Dodging and burning are usually not a dishonest altering reality. They are
> way of making the photo better resemble what the human eye saw, with
> its
ability to scan and see both highlights and shadows.  They have been
> an
important tool in photography for over a century.  I don't think
> that
option should be taken away from photographers and editors. Having a
> RAW
option is important for high-contrast situations--such as
> low-latitude
deserts in bright daylight. Regrettably, there are going to be a
> lot more
news photos coming from such locations. Also, with all of the mixed
> light
sources photographers have to deal with, being able to use different
> white
balance settings on different part of the photo is important.

Mark
> mentions National Geographic.  Well, faked wildlife photos have caused
some
> scandals recently. And NG is now owned by Rupert Murdoch, (supposedly)
a news
> guy. So this policy could very well be adopted by National
Geographic one of
> these days.  I just hope that magazine and
"editorial" photographers don't end
> up having this policy shoved down their
throats as well.

--Peter