Subject: [Leica] The SL
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 23:00:00 -0800

An excellent description of the mechanism.... and especially the variants.

Yes, rather difficult to implement....  especially if you wanted to be 100%
compliant with all lenses of any age........

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

The Leicaflex (original) used a sloped cam outwardly similar to an M lens'
focussing cam.  The body's axial cam follower (at the top of the mirror box)
read this cam as actual lens aperture (for the non-TTL meter, much like the
Nikon F rabbit ears).  The Leicaflex SL and SL2 use a second sloped cam,
similar to the first but at the bottom of the mirror box, that indicated
aperture relative to full aperture for TTL metering (like auto-indexed
rabbit ears or Nikon's AI tab).  The R cam (R3 onward) a.k.a. 3rd cam used a
rotational cam that indicated both actual aperture and aperture relative to
maximum.  It would be messy to sort these out in an adapter.

Doug Herr