Subject: [Leica] Babbage Difference Engine
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:25:34 -0400

 Herbert,From Wikipedia?s article on magnetic core memories:
"Two key inventions led to the development of magnetic core memory in 1951.
The first, An Wang's, was the write-after-read cycle, which solved the
problem of how to use a storage medium in which the act of reading erased
the data read enabling the construction of a serial, one-dimensional?shift
register?of o(50) bits, using two cores to store a bit. A Wang core shift
register is in the Revolution exhibit at the?Computer History Museum. The
second,?Jay Forrester's, was the coincident-current system, which enabled a
small number of wires to control a large number of cores enabling 3D memory
arrays of several million bits e.g.?8K x 8K x 64 bits.? ?So I guess we are
both right.

Now back to the Leica S. A toy for the very rich.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Babbage Difference Engine)
Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Babbage Difference Engine)