Subject: [Leica] LUG Gallery is temporarily offline
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:37:34 -0700

The LUG Gallery is back online, still at http://gallery.leica-users.org/
but the server computer is in a new location in a different city and county.

After shutting it down, removing it from its rails and rack, getting it
packed safely in the trunk of my car, driving it to the new location,
carrying it in without dropping it (it weighs 40 pounds) moving some
steel shelves around to make room for it, and moving some cables around
to get enough electricity for it, I was discouraged to find that I could
not get it to turn on.

After entirely too many hours of debugging, testing, and experimenting I
finally discovered that the button I was pushing to turn it on was not
the "on" button. The actual "on" button is so small it can only be
pressed with something like a paperclip. In the past I had used a
fiber-tip pen to operate it a few times, and as a result the button was
painted black and was nearly invisible. Pressing the real "on" button
did a dandy job of turning it on, and the rest of the installation went
without incident.

This server is a maxed-out SunFire X4200, which in its time was a
screamingly fast system. It is still faster than most current server
systems, but its 16GB of RAM is a bit dated. You can buy one just like
it on eBay today for $500.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloonkeeper

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn) ([Leica] LUG Gallery is temporarily offline)