Subject: [Leica] OT: sluggish iMac
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:16:41 +0200

My 7-year iMac started acting up back in April: it became very sluggish and
finally refused to boot up. I managed to boot it from an external disk and
back up my mail and other stuff (my pictures all reside on external drives,
so no danger there). I then took the computer to the Apple Store and had
them look at it. The verdict was that there was nothing physically wrong
with the internal HD, so they just wiped the disk clean and re-installed the
OSX and all was well?until this week, when it started showing the same
symptoms again. It still boots up but is extremely sluggish, to the point of
being useless. Disk Utility reports no problems but obviously something is
wrong. I recently upgraded to El Capitan but I do not think this is the
cause because it was beginning to show the symptoms already before the
upgrade. Before I take it back to the store for a hard disk replacement,
does anyone have any idea of what else can cause such behavior?

I have my new Macbook Air, and all my stuff is backed up etc. But I want the
nice big screen of my iMac back, and I do not feel like buying a new
computer at this point.

TIA for any ideas,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman