Subject: [Leica] Img: Bagamoyo and surroundings (updated with correct URLs)
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:45:55 -0700

This is an update post with the correct URLs. I had been in SmugMug?s ?edit?
mode when I took the image info. Won?t do that again?at least not today.

My trip to Tanzania was as photo documentarian for a service trip by a group
of students from the College of St. Scholastica, a Benedictine Catholic
college in Duluth, Minnesota. Some of the images will be to document that
trip. I?m posting images here that I feel might be of interest. Following a
link to my SmugMug site will allow you to browse any of the other images.
Many of those will be oriented to the trip documentary and probably not of
wide interest.

The early part of the trip worked out of Dar es Salaam. We stayed at a
hostel called the TEC Center.

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-BNcWZNq/A>

The college hosts Benedictine sisters from two sister monasteries in the
south-west part of the country. The most recent graduate, with a masters
degree, realized that although public education is free in Tanzania it
doesn?t include disabled students. She set about raising funds to build a
school to help them.

An early stop on our trip was to visit the site of the new school and to
deliver a bag she hadn?t been able to bring back with her.

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-T4mWGBv/A>

Most of the money goes to make bricks, by hand, on site:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-sqJXJL7/A>

Drying bricks:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-nFNptTM/A>

Waiting to greet us, one of four sisters waits for us along a path to their
dwelling:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-xFZL944>

She didn?t speak a word of English, only Swahili, but she radiated
friendship and while walking with this crutched was determined that we be
comfortable and enjoy a meal with them:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-vNBKQrq/A>

It takes a fast shutter speed to catch her standing still:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-zQ8DNmj/A>

The sisters? dwelling. It?s very simple. This is an iphone 6+ panorama:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-RmqxWSH/A>

The kitchen. There is, of course, no utility connection here:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-6PFGH8R/A>

Washing oranges:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-J3cFdp9/A>

Two views of the same set of doors/windows. The first with the Fuji X-T1 and
it?s kit lens, the second with the Sony A7ii & 35mm Loxia:
lens:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-4NKQDhd/A>

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-b3tQnWg/A>

A student with Sister Gardenzia:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-pnCnKcV/A>

After our visit to the school site we went up the coast a bit more to the
town of Bagamoyo site of a 13th century trading outpost.

This image is from a building built much later, about the time the Germans
were settling East Africa:

<https://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/Travel/Tanzania/i-HHshLRB/A>

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Img: Bagamoyo and surroundings (updated with correct URLs))