Subject: [Leica] Holy Cr*p, comparing V700 scan vs. drum scanning
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:55:18 -0700

Whoa, the 73rd Worldcon "Sasquan" http://sasquan.org generously providing
me with a space to do my photo projects, and I have some space to hang
really large prints. I can't afford and it wouldn't make sense to do
"photo-quality" prints but I figure a couple 48"x60" poster-quality prints
might look awesome.

My V700 scanned images look pretty good printed at 24"x30" (my printer's
limit). Someone even printed a few for an artshow on a commercial HP
printer at 30x40" and they look pretty good. Since I want to make these 2
prints as large as I can afford, I sent them negs out for drumming scan.
This is done by a professional photographer on a "real" drum scanner and
not the virtual drum scan. They cost $135 each for a 4000 DPI scan.

Anyway, I am somewhat surprised that when printed 24"x30", there is very
little difference between the V700 scanned file vs. the drum scanned file.
More tonal range and more details / sharper here and there, but for a
print, the difference is no more than 5%. The difference is probably more
apparent the large I print. Meanwhile, I am really impressed on how the
V700 turns out!

These are a couple comparison screen grab at 1:2
http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20150729-Scanned-1151.jpg

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20150729-Scanned-1152.jpg

--
// http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto