Subject: [Leica] OT Sensor rot
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 12:19:51 -0700

Leica must have set a record in the case of my M9. The local camera store,
Keeble & Shuchat, saw weirdity on my sensor when cleaning it and sent the
camera in to Leica. This was last December. Every time I phoned Leica, they
said they wanted a picture that showed the problem. First, I sent them a jpg
that showed the problem clearly. They weren?t happy; wanted a DNG. The DNG
was 5 meg too big for email, so I put it on an SD card and mailed it to them.

Today, for the third time, I phoned Leica, and got an extremely testy lady
who wouldn?t tell me anything other than that it needed a new sensor. She
said that since a camera store sent it in, they were technically the
customer and that I needed to go through them.

I just phoned them and heard that they encountered some of the same
nonsense: had to send them a picture as if they weren?t capable of putting a
card in the camera and taking the picture themselves. I told the repair
wallah at Keeble that I saw no sense in replace the sensor with another that
would have the same problem. I wanted a quote on an upgrade to an M 240. He
told me that he could get the quote in a day or two and would phone me.

So, total idiotic communication failure has wasted six months. Well, in that
time, I?ve managed to learn how to avoid the firmware bugs in my Fujifilm
X100S -:)

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204