Subject: [Leica] LR6 seems to require an internet connection
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 22:59:25 +0000

I can't comment on reported performance slowdowns. I am nearly always
on-line in any case. I have several perpetual licences as well as
subscribing to the CC photogs package.

My current installations are on a PC and this Macbook as allowed by
the EULA. As far as I recall my current installs and upgrades are
using the CC service. I just found in fact that this Macbook actually
has two functional installs (with different catalogs too), one being
5.7 and the other CC 2015 (it was only opening the earlier version
from my dock).

As far as I can see a new installation does not necessarily remove the
versions. There are probably many variations on which versions/licences,
installs, upgrades and settings people have on their computers. With a
perpetual licence then you just need an initial connection to activate not
a continuous connection for it to work. The activation requirement may have
changed over recent versions? With the CC versions you don't need a
continuous connection (unless when using a synch operation I guess). The
programs just need to 'phone home' every few weeks. They will still keep
working for weeks without that if you are off-line. The CC parent app is
likely looking for updates for you on whicher Adobe apps you have and and
there is an update function for the perpetual licence versions too of
course.

Check that you are trying to open the right version? Signing out of Adobe
CC will require a new connection for CC programs to start again too.

This sounds like a bad license server implementation. Large S/W companies
always assume their customers are thieves unfortunately.

If you know anyone high up at Adobe, complain loudly and privately.

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] LR6 seems to require an internet connection)