Subject: [Leica] Street Photography: a meme created on the internet
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 19:50:47 -0500

On May 4, 2015, at 6:38 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Thanks George you may just have underestimated me as I'm fully capable of
> Google/Binging "Street photography" all by my self and certainly you'd
> think
> would have done so. I am aware it is  a buzzword which has fully and
> saturated itself into the current vernacular. That is very much my issue
> with it.
>
> Photographers were long photographing the human condition before this
> Neologism kicked in which trendy people started using and ascribing the
> whole thing to these old timers who got along fine with the old tired terms
> like documentary photography and candid photography and news photography
> and
> photojournalism and people who took a tour of the neighborhood with the
> cameras taking pictures of every thing and every body who didn't need any
> trendy labels telling them what they were doing.

Pardon me Mark. No offense intended here.

I was simply pointing to relevant books specifically.
and
more specifically with publishers like Aperture
and
museums doing shows

vernacular or not
like it
or not

it has taken on a "serious" definition
within the serious photographic publishing and museum world

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog