Subject: [Leica] Large JPEGS, TIFFs, C-41
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:43:07 +0100

All,

I had some C-41 that I shot because I wanted to use my "real" Leicas again. I
went to a store that I used to use over many years of film photography and
who
had dealt with C-41 film for me and done it well. They told me that their new
kit could only produce jpegs.

I guess I have a few options:

(i) Use the large jpegs that they generate and convert them to TIFFs and work
from there.

(ii) Find someone else who will dev the C41 and produce me TIFFs

(iii) Soup it myself - not really on (although I could use true B&W film, eg
FP4)

(iv) No, that option isn't even up for consideration - and if you thought
it....

So, questions:

* What are the relative merits of using large jpegs, converting them and
using
the TIFFs, or and can they be seen as a viable alternative to TIFFs?

* @UK LUGers - any one got any ideas of good UK houses that can handle C41
and
generate TIFFS? Peak seem only to want to produce JPEGs and are definitely
not
cheap.

Thanks for your help/comments

Peter

PS Ted, I know it's tech talk but there is something so sensual about using
film
again :-)
--

Dr Peter Dzwig