Subject: [Leica] FYI: New Marty Gear Fund Grant for Richard Man's Transformations Cosplay Project
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:19:32 -0700

FYI: this is the second grant I have received for this project (plus
gofundme.com and equipment donations). I am so honored by people believing
in me and my project. In case you have not seen it before, this is the Work
in Progress photos:
http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/TransformationsCosplay-Portfolio/

****

On April 5, the International Costumers' Guild's Marty Gear Costuming Arts
and Sciences Fund approved ICG member Richard Man's application for a grant
to support his Transformations Cosplay Project.  In this project, Mr. Man
will examine "how costumers/cosplayers transform themselves from their
'mundane' daily appearance to temporarily 'become' the characters they
portray."  His application explained that he takes "traditional-style
portraits . . . with an eye toward gallery exhibition and large-format book
publication, using . . . 4x5 large-format film cameras. The main focus is
on the characters themselves. The photos are accompanied by textual
excerpts of audio interviews I do with the costumers to give further
insight into the people behind the costumes; for example: what sparked
their interest in costuming, the reasons behind particular choices of
costumes, challenges and details they enjoy about costume creation. . ."
and that "The goal is to photograph cosplayers/costumers from as many
regions as possible. . . ."

Mr. Man sees the purpose of Transformations Cosplay as to "raise the
awareness of and respect for costumers and our costuming arts
and techniques; not just within the SF&F communities, but also in the
general public and the greater art community as a whole. Additionally,
this provides opportunities to promote awareness of the existence and
history of costumer organizations such as the ICG and its various chapters.

"The juxtaposition of the costumers both in costume and also in their
'regular lives' (in regular clothes, often with some representation of
their daily jobs) is intended to show costumers as 'regular' people of all
ages and from all walks of life who also happen to engage in this amazingly
fun and highly creative hobby; costumers/cosplayers are not a 'bunch of
crazy fringe weirdos' or 'just skimpy soft-core exhibitionists' that media
portrayals often make them out to be."

The ICG's grant, for $750, will provide additional general support for the
Transformations Cosplay project.  Mr. Man intends to present the project at
Costume-Con and other science fiction, anime, and genre conventions.  He
seeks to publish the results in book form and to display the photos on
websites, at convention art shows, and in galleries.  He will submit web
sized images for permanent retention in the ICG's Pat and Peggy Kennedy
Memorial Archives.

The International Costumers' Guild established the Marty Gear Fund to
provide modest financial support for projects or activities by ICG members
that advance the art and science of costuming and benefit the costuming
community.  It is named for the late Marty Gear, a founder of the ICG.

For more information, go to www.costume.org and select "Marty Gear
Costuming Arts and Sciences Fund" in the menu, or contact the Fund at
icg-grants at costume.org.

Byron Connell
Chair, Administration Committee
Marty Gear Costuming Arts and Sciences Fund
 __._,_.___
  ------------------------------
Posted by: Byron Connell <byronpconnell at gmail.com>
------------------------------
*  Reply to sender
<byronpconnell at
gmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Marty%20Gear%20Fund%20Grant%20for%20Richard%20Man%27s%20Transformations%20Cosplay%20Project>
*  Reply to group
<ICG-D at
yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Marty%20Gear%20Fund%20Grant%20for%20Richard%20Man%27s%20Transformations%20Cosplay%20Project>
* Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ICG-D/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbWphOWMwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIzMDEzNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQyODcwODA1MQ-->
* Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ICG-D/conversations/topics/49510;_ylc=X3oDMTM2amgycmRzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIzMDEzNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BG1zZ0lkAzQ5NTEwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQyODcwODA1MQR0cGNJZAM0OTUxMA-->
(1)
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ICG-D/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlanFldnNuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIzMDEzNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQyODcwODA1MQ-->

 [image: Yahoo! Groups]