Subject: [Leica] Shoot less... ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:56:47 -0700

Steve Barbour OFFERED!

selective....
Is it not true that this suggestion applies to shooting ?<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,
OK I can see how some of the crew don't understand shooting as Tina. Nor
myself when shooting a "Photo essay or a documentary" shoot as much as I did
and she still does. In my earliest days of amateurism I shot usually 20/25
B&W 36 exp. rolls a week. I chased fire engines, shot baseball and all kinds
of sports events, just to shoot and learn. How much I shot never entered my
head until Irene would ask?  "How much did you "spend on film and prints?"
THEN smile! :-)

Now in my over whatever number of years since 17 September 1951 when my
first front page newspaper photograph was published......... "I WAS GOING TO
OFFER A "THROAT CUTTING COMMENT RIGHT HERE!!!!!!! Regarding "SHOOT LESS?"
My! My? :-(

But CREW, "What & when you shoot? It's not governed by "shooting as many or
less frames?" But, it's a thought process of mind and your gut re-action to?
"JEEEESH! LOOK AT THAT! CLICK!" Besides you've just spent a fortune getting
to the location and all the living expenses if a holiday? Or a special photo
shoot holiday? ? AND YOUR  GOING TO COUNT OR PULL BACK ON HOW MANY FRAMES
YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE?

Just imagine this thought when you get home?????

You are screening your photos to an editor/friends and they compliment you
with?? "WOW WHAT BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS!" And your heart goes pleasantly
thumpity thump with pride.  "THEN YOU SAY?????? "Oh but you should've seen
the ones I didn't take because I didn't want to take too many!"
"aaaaaccckkk!!!" DIE!

The next thing you know? "the guys in white coats are taking you off to the
institution!"

I need not say another word about? "DON'T TAKE SO MANY!" Simply because it
truly is one of the stupidest photographic comments I've ever read!" What
are some of you people motivated by in making an exposure?  "NUMBERS OF
FRAMES?" Or your visual heart beat? Surely not number of frames ever? :-(

cheers,
Dr. ted

---

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Shoot less... ?)