Subject: [Leica] URL: WSJ on Leica
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 16:30:45 +1000

Frank where did you get the information that the competitor companies are
huge by comparison?
Just anecdotally (as are your comments on this topic) my understanding is
that the S system has continued to grow as a portion of the tiny medium
format digital market and that Hasselblad are by no means much larger than
Leica Camera. At least that is what one of their senior executives stated
at a presentation I attended here some time ago.
Happy to have you refute that if you have some numbers that prove the
contrary.

Leica Camera is certainly continuing to develop new lenses and a very
significant upgrade to the S (typ 006) in the form of the soon to arrive S
(typ 007). That camera in specification at least has some superior
performance areas to anything else current. It will also have its own
unique sensor rather than the unit used by all competitors currently. The
investment in developing that alone would have to have been significant.
Estimated release date and pricing are on the B&H website too. Late last
year here the national boss told me that development was perhaps 70%
complete at that time.

What I can say from direct experience (some 10,000 frames so far with my
S2) is that the lenses I have are the best that I have ever used and
superior in performance to every one of my late model M lenses too (as they
should be of course).