Subject: [Leica] 52 best pix of the year
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:26:17 -0500

I got this on my news feed just now 52 best pix of the year from around the
world and was impressed on the state of the craft as seen by these guys.
A slew of really impressive shots. A pretty good selection. I'm glad I
clicked on it.

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/the-52-best-photographs-from-around-the-world-
in-2014.html

Or

http://tinyurl.com/pkoyow8

TheBayNet.com | Southern Maryland's Number 1 News Source
What's in southern Maryland? I just checked ....Washington DC for one!

If one wanted to ascertain the state of bokeh in lens design based on these
you'd have a hard time as only a small handful of them like six have any out
of focus areas in them at all. The vast bulk of them are sharp as a tack
from infinity to the camera.
Reason?
There's one reason for it as far as I see it. Instead of shooting at 400 or
1600 iso we are not shooting at 64,000 or higher. 3 or 4 stops faster than
the film era.
The level of detail in these shots would be a shame to exclude from the
image. There was no reason to open up your f stops to "isolate" an subject
area.
Noise is non existent in any shots I can recall here and sharpness is super
high.
If thin sharp areas were ever in fashion and I suspect it never was its
certainly not now. Even in not brightly lit shots we can now it seems easily
get it all with no flash.
We need to get it all. And then some.

My conclusion is its an exciting time to be involved with this whole
photography thing. I don't see the down slides. I don't see the lose lose. I
don't see the poignant reverences for the sweet days of film.
And I sure don't see the tele tale brittle soulless "digital look".

Hand me my SanDisk card I'm ready to roll!

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] 52 best pix of the year)