Subject: [Leica] Street photography in B&W?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 23:05:12 +0530

Ric,
I agree with you 100%.

The point I was trying to make is that the frequently implied notion that
B&W is "Art" and "The Real Thing", and that colour is an inferior medium,
is, to my mind, completely irrelevant today. Most of the early masters shot
B&W because that is all they had access to, not because it was a conscious
artistic choice, and by the time widespread colour film of reasonable
quality was available, they were too set in their ways to take full
advantage of the new medium, not unlike the extreme reluctance of many
photographers to switch from film to digital in the early days of digital.
In other words, IMHO, there is a heavy dose of artistic propaganda and
conditioning here in the repeatedly stated fact of the so called
"supremacy" of B&W as an artistic medium. Starting with Ernst Haas and Saul
Leiter in the 1950s and 1960s, there is enough of a body of excellent
street photography in colour - one needs only to look at, say, Raghubir
Singh's body of work on the streets of India, or Constantine Manos' recent
book on the USA to understand what I mean. Similarly, I can see the soul of
a subject just as easily in Steve McCurry's hypnotic colour portraits as in
Jane Bown's equally hypnotic monochromatic ones.

I do both, and I enjoy doing both, but colour is my basic medium, and B&W
is an ancillary medium. By the way, colour is not easy - I spend more time
post processing my colour photographs than I do my B&W ones.  When I cannot
get the colour right, I convert to B&W - to me that is an easy option!

This is not to belittle anybody, or any other opinion, but I have just
stated what MY views are on this subject.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Street photography in B&W?)
Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Street photography in B&W?)