Subject: [Leica] Blood Moon Eclipse
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:10:14 -0400

The Earth rotates at the rate of 360 degrees/24hrs, or 15 deg/h. This is
also 15 minutes of arc per minute and 15 seconds of arc per second. For an
object near the celestial equator, this same relationship holds. A movement
of 7-8 seconds of arc in a half-second exposure is less than one-half of one
percent of the Moon?s diameter of about 1800 arc sec. At a FL of 400 mm,
this would smear the Moon?s image by a negligible amount. The motion of the
Moon in its orbit is in the opposite direction, tending to reduce the
effect, but is too slow to make any visible difference anyway.

If Adams made his landscape photos that included the Moon with slow
emulsions, very small f-stops, and a long exposure, he?d have run into this
problem.

When I take astrophotos of the Moon through my 1100mm FL telescope, however,
the Moon?s image takes up nearly the height of the frame, or much more under
higher magnification, and an electrically driven telescope mount is
essential to avoid exactly what you?re referring to.

?howard