Subject: [Leica] Leica Porn
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:17:37 +0000

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 George Lottermoser <george.imagist at icloud.com>wrote:

 [...edited]

 >The fact that we can buy so-called Pro-Sumer models for $3K
>which deliver wonderful files;
>and ConSumer models for a fraction of that
>is the only difference.

>We have serious, prolific, talented photographers on this list
>who find the ways and means to photography with M8s, M9s, Ms, and MMs.
>And there's many more lists out there with many more serious Leica shooters.

>Used M8s sell every day for $1300 - $1800
>Used M9s continue to hold at or a bit over $3K
>with M9-Ps going $500 to $1,000 more than that.
>I saw an M Monochrom sell a couple weeks ago for $4,500.

>The same vintage Nikons and Canons do not do nearly as well by comparison.

>I'd be lucky to get $400 or $500 for my Canon 5D.

>Apples and apples
>Oranges and oranges

>Everyone's mileage, needs, wants and desires will vary

>Regards,
>George Lottermoser

Buying a Leica body doesn't make sense for me.

I loved film Leica rangefinders, but I'm SO happy with my X-E2, that I have
hardly used my Canon 30D since I got it. With its thin body, it's as easy to
carry around and hold as my M3 was, and with various adapters that I have, I
can also use my oddball lenses on it that won't couple to a Leica M. If I
buy an Olympus adapter, I can use my 250mm f/2 Zuiko. And I don't have to
worry about coding or RF calibration.

Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978