Subject: [Leica] I figured out how to adapt any LTM 50mm into a dual range lens - cheap & fast
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:07:39 -0800

Raises questions about the old saying... a penny for your thoughts.....

Simply, a brilliant idea.

Can you imagine what Leica would charge for that penny if it had a red dot
on it?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I'd posted a while ago asking if anybody had any thoughts about filing down
the threads on a 50mm to allow the focus coupling to travel further on
lenses that's close focus was limited to a meter.  Kicking the idea around a
little, I've come up with a modification which will work with any LTM 50mm
and doesn't require grinding or altering the lens. It allows close focusing
to about half a meter (haven't checked exactly) - I have before and after
close focusing images plus instructions here:

http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/802756.html

I'd been kicking around the idea of getting a voigtlander nokton 1.5 - the
LTM ones are cheap, like $400, but the new bayonet mount ones are like $900
and as far as I can tell, the only significant difference is that the
bayonet mount ones close focus to .7 meters.

In reply to: Message from leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG) ([Leica] I figured out how to adapt any LTM 50mm into a dual range lens - cheap & fast)