Subject: [Leica] A different view of the orchestra...
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:17:21 -0800

Thanks for posting that, Jay.  Very enjoyable. It's a gimmick, but a fun
gimmick.  And wonderful publicity for the GoPro.  I've had the idea of
doing a "BassoonCam" for a while, but the Czechs beat me to it.

My favorite is the camera fastened to the end of the trombone slide, so
the trombonist "zooms" in and out as he plays.  :-)

You may not know it, but you just gave me a playing tip.  We bassoonists
usually sit on a "seat strap"-- a belt with a hook at the end, which
supports the bottom of the instrument.  I also use a second "side strap"
which is looped around the rightmost support of the chair back and
fastened to a ring about 1/4 of the way up the instrument.  It takes
most of the weight of the bassoon off my left hand.   The Czech
bassoonist in the video appears to use a variation of this, fastened
around his waist. His method might constrict his breathing somewhat, but
it is usable when the chair back is completely solid and there is
nothing around which to loop my side strap. I'll have to look into his
way for those times when I don't get the right kind of chair.

--Peter