Subject: [Leica] Old film pictures
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:15:01 -0400 (EDT)

Last week I was requested to submit two pictures to a prestigious
Northeast photo show featuring industrial activity. I have been retired
now for some years and I didn't have any recent work so I simply
submitted two random pictures from my files. Here they are:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/The+valve+room.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/New+Orleans.jpg.html

The curator, a scholarly youngish man in his early 30s, was very
impressed and wanted to know how I achieved the grainy, film like look
in the photos. Did I use Photoshop or one of the other recent digital
photo manipulation programs. It took me some time to explain that I
actually used film. Digital cameras had not yet been invented when I
took the pictures. The cameras too were much more primitive than he
expected. The first picture, "The Valve Room" was taken with a Rollei
35 in the1970s, the second, "New Orleans," with a sun-miniature Minox,
even before that.

I think that he found it hard to wrap his mind around the idea that
film was actually used to take pictures and not just a semi-mythical
curiosity like the wet collodion process.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Old film pictures)