Subject: [Leica] Super Moon (for Jim Laurel)
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 01:31:12 -0400

Here as promised is a shot of today's Super Moon, 2 days past full, for
comparison to Jim Laurel's Televid image from the night before. This was
taken with a D800 at the prime focus of an astronomical telescope, a 155-mm
Astro-Physics apo refractor. The atmospheric "seeing", as we say, was pretty
bad, limiting the sharpness of detail on the Moon. The sharpness and
resolution are comparable to those of Jim's image through a Televid of half
the aperture, suggesting that he had better seeing, possibly because when I
made my image, the Moon was still fairly low in the sky.

In any case, this shows that as I noted last night, Jim's image is pretty
good for three inches of aperture (as we express it in astronomy). Through a
telescope visually, it always looks better than in simple images like ours.
I'd still like to see Jim's image in the original. You can plainly see a
grainy texture in his that isn't there in mine and I wonder whether it's
coming from processing or what, and I think it could look better.

?howard