Subject: [Leica] Young Photographer (Vers.2)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 10:28:07 -0700

John McMaster OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Young Photographer (Vers.2)

> True, but how much manipulation and keep the original photograph? I do a
> little PS work now and again outside of  contrast and a slight crop, but
> not often. I think it blandifises (new word) all images towards some idea
> of perfection. Photography, to me, is interpretation of what I see - not
> modifying it.....<<<<<<<<<

Hi  john,

"Blandifises?" Always nice to find a new word in our language. :-) However I
live by similar logic as you. That doesn't mean you create a new photo when
you eliminate a bit of distraction? As the "photographer" should have seen
it when shooting the original scene.

However a crop can be the medicine to slightly improve the image providing
PS isn't used in "adding elements that weren't there in the first place."
That's out and out cheating!!

Although these days of PS image manipulation, one never knows what's real
and wasn't ?

Generally I do PS in this fashion:
1/ auto-levels.. "If it looks cool? It stays!"
2/ Auto-contrast. "If it looks cool? it stays."
3/ Auto-colour. If it looks cool? "It stays."

Obviously if you click on any of these three and the image looks crappy? I
undo with a quick click back to the original image! Occasionally I try a
little contrast or levels tweak to see if the image looks improved? But the
bottom line always is...... "SHOOT IT RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND SAVE TIME
FIDDLING LATER!" :-) A simple KISS philosophy! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

---
protection is active.