Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tooting my own horn
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:25:11 -0700

Herb: I used to make my own reeds, but stopped doing so years ago due to
lack of time. Now that I (supposedly) have more time, I plan to make
some again and see whether it's worth it for me. I doubt I will do the
initial thickness profile of the reeds by hand any more--that way lies
madness. Several good reedmakers and professional players have invested
in custom made or CNC machinery which performs the most time-consuming
parts of the process, and sell cane that has has already been shaped and
profiled, and is ready to fold over, form and finish.

There is a tradeoff in terms of time vs. money, and in how good one's
own skill is vs. the commercial reedmaker's. And also how close you
yourself can get to a reed that sounds like what you want to sound like,
vs. a ready-made reed that is close enough that you can adapt.

--Peter