Subject: [Leica] Vignetting in FF digital Ms
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 07:50:56 -0400

In doing some preliminary exploratory shooting with my new M240 and the
previous-generation 35mm Summilux ASPH, I encountered the inevitable severe
fall-off of illumination at the corners, as I expected. What I did not
expect was that the M?s built-in lens correction feature would reduce this
by only a subjective 50% or so, leaving a prominent and very disappointing
degree of vignetting still to be seen.

I realize that this can be easily corrected in post-processing, e.g.
Lightroom, PS, and DxO, but my question is WHY? Why would Leica engineers,
after recognizing the problem, creating a software correction to it, and
deciding to incorporate that correction into the FF M digital camera, then
proceed to implement it in such a half-assed fashion? Clearly a full
correction is straightforwardly implementable in post-processing, so why not
write the firmware to accomplish it rather than hobble it to perform a
half-correction?

Anybody know the reasoning behind this? Or am I missing some feature that
would actually give full correction? And when correcting for this in
Lightroom etc., what do most of you do? Let the camera do its bit and then
finish it, or simply dispense with the built-in correction and do everything
in LR? Will LR and the other software suites with built-in corrections for
various lens and body combinations even perform properly with the M?s
built-in correction applied?

Thanks for any suggestions.

?howard

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Vignetting in FF digital Ms)