Subject: [Leica] Is it just me, or are these new Leica lenses a huge step up?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:36:54 -0700

Nathan: All lenses have focus shift, but some more than others. The
original 35/1.4 ASPH without the floating elements is one, and it is my
principal lens on my M8. At f/1.4 and f/2, the RF is accurate. At
f/2.8-5.6, the actual point of focus is a bit behind where the RF says
it is. At f/8 and smaller, the DOF covers things. I confirmed this with
testing, but it was pretty apparent without testing. So if I want to
shoot it at f/2.8-5.6, I focus a little closer than I actually want. It
bothers me to have to do it, but the lens is so good otherwise that I
put up with it.

IIRC, you are using the Voigtlander 35/1.2 on your M8. That lens handles
focus shift in a very sneaky way. As you stop down, the actual focus
point oscillates back and forth around the point the RF is focused on,
but only very slightly. You can see it if you pixel peep, but not in
real life.  When I first tested my 35/1.2 on the M8, I did pixel peep,
and I couldn't believe my eyes. I repeated the tests, same results. So I
asked Erwin Puts about it. He confirmed my observations. Erwin said that
what the Cosina designers did is a less expensive way of minimizing
focus shift, but that Leica would never do it that way, because there
are some other optical drawbacks to it (I think involving contrast).

So for all practical purposes, your normal M8 lens doesn't have focus
shift. So you don't notice it.   :-)

--Peter

 > I have never seen any focus shift on my M8 with any of my lenses.
Perhaps I

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Is it just me, or are these new Leica lenses a huge step up?)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Is it just me, or are these new Leica lenses a huge step up?)