Subject: [Leica] Migrant father : sorry, this is the genuine text!
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 17:51:02 +0100

Thank you Philippe, Jayanand, Geoff, Luis, Dr Ted, Tina, Ric, Steve,
Douglas, Jay, Alan, Gerry, Peter, Jim, Nathan: I love your comments and
appreciation, thanks for looking and responding! Sure, when the picture
appeared on my screen in B&W (M8, summicron 35 asph. + lightroom +
silvereffex) I couldn't help thinking of Dorothea Lange's 1936 series - the
way the boy gazes into some vague and uncertain future, the dirt on his
face, the comforting presence / arms of his father, the focus on his eyes
... I thought there was a slight similarity. Sorry to compare this to
someone as famous as D. Lange! The difference is that my picture is
absolutely spontaneous: this is a single picture of a single event! We met
this migrant family in the South of France, on our way to Albi - there are
still many such migrant families in Europe, traveling from place to place in
their mobile homes or trailers. There's indeed a fierce controversy as to
whether they should be asked to settle down or travel back to Romania, their
country of origin, supposedly. Well, anyway, our grand children played with
their children and as things happen, we started talking, etc. and then one
child jumped into his dad's arms and I grabbed my camera. That's the story.
True, the B&W brings about some pathos that wasn't there at all at the
start. Interesting thought about the way reality can be transformed once the
camera has caught the picture!

Jean-Michel

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Migrant father : sorry, this is the genuine text!)