Subject: [Leica] Neko Harbour
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:01:45 +0530

The only time we actually set foot on the Antarctic Continent proper
was in Neko Harbour, a very popular landing area for tourist ships. It
is surrounded by huge, active glaciers, audibly grinding away and
calving. A panorama of the mouth of one such biggie, both in colour
and monochrome:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Panoramas/antarcticpanos_001/Antarctica_20140117_5264C.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Panoramas/antarcticpanos_001/Antarctica_20140117_5264.jpg.html

As the crew were preparing for landing, I was taken up with the play
of light and shade on this hillside, as the sun struggled to break
through the clouds (the moon is actually visible in the last shot):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5266.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5278.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5286.jpg.html

First off the ship were those of us who wanted to hike/climb up the hillside:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5338.jpg.html

As we landed on the beach, we were greeted by a Weddell Seal, fast asleep:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5361.jpg.html

But the chief attraction of Neko Harbour was a roosting colony of
Gentoo Penguins with their young in their circular surface nests of
stones and pebbles:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5384.jpg.html

The parents reassured the chicks:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5410.jpg.html

Fed them - this was a newborn:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5492.jpg.html

Gentoos normally lay two eggs, and there were those nests, where one
egg had hatched and one was yet to hatch:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5551.jpg.html

There were raucous scraps between adults, mainly caused by one Gentoo
being caught stealing pebbles from the nests of others:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5563.jpg.html

Gentoos were calling everywhere:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5555.jpg.html

And, above the whole rookery, on the slopes, were the opportunistic
Skua, waiting for their chance to snatch a chick or an egg:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140117_5461.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Neko Harbour)
Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (Leowesson) ([Leica] Neko Harbour)