Subject: [Leica] OT - Resolution of problems with Capture One problems.
From: gwpics at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:35:04 +0000

I really like the way Capture One from Phase One processes images, and I
find it superior to most other raw processing engines, but I have had two
major problems with it, namely:

1. images converted to .dng files using Lightroom (of which I have many) do
not appear browser panel. I have discussed this with Phase One and it is
because they are not linear .dng files (unlike the files from Leica digital
cameras.

2. Early .nef files from the Nikon D1X (which was my camera of choice)
appear purple in the browser and cannot be processed. Again I have discussed
this with Phase One and they say it is because of the pixel format in the
files.

I am delighted to say that I have finally found a resolution to these
problems which, although a little long-winded, appears to resolve both
problems perfectly so I thought I should pass it along.

The biggest problem was to convert files in to linear .dng files, which
Adobe DNG converter normally does not do. However if you are a user of Photo
Mechanic you will find under the 'Tools' menu a 'Convert RAW to DNG' option
which has the choice of converting the raw file to a linear .dng file. This
uses the Adobe DNG converter to do so, and it will even convert existing
.dng files into linear .dng files.

This solution resolves both of my problems making earlier .nef files and
Lightroom-converted .dng files readable in Capture One without replacing the
original files that have been converted. OK, you have to have Photo Mechanic
(which is also a great program) and it is not an instant solution but it
certainly appears to work.

I have started using it now on selected files on an 'as and when' basis.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Gerry

Gerry Walden
+44 (0)23 8046 3076 or