Subject: [Leica] Industrial Canyon
From: jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 02:13:54 -0500

Dear Fellow Luggers:

I haven't been active here for sometime, but I've been trying to keep up
with things by reading many of your posts.

This photo was shot a couple of years ago in Lowell Massachusetts on
Ektachrome 100 with my 11x14 view camera, I showed it here at that time,
Fall 2012.

http://www.hemenway.com/IndustrialCanyon-11x14-200072-Ekta100.png

It's part of a small personal project of mine to shoot a lot of photos
of the locks, canals and mills in Lowell with some accompanying history
of what is sometimes called America's first industrial city... the
industry being mostly the weaving of huge amounts of wool in equally
huge water powered weaving mills, all beginning in the early 1800s.

After I shot this I began having some problems with my right hip!

It has been so painful that I had to stop using the 11x14 but kept
shooting some digital  "scouting" photos for further use with the 11x14
and my Leica R8 and Leica FishFlex when some of my skeleton parts could
be repaired.

Finally it came to the point this past October when I could no longer
walk more than a few feet/meters and the following two digital scouting
shots are my last:

This is a view of the first shot, Industrial Canyon from the other end
of the canal.
http://www.hemenway.com/PawtucketCanal.jpg

This is the Hamilton canal, parallel to the first.
http://www.hemenway.com/HamiltonCanal.jpg

But after lots of tests and various medications, my heart has been
cleared so that I can get a hip transplant tomorrow. Hopefully it will
be a day that I can remember with pleasure for a long time.

So if you fell like it, please wish me luck (off list)... with a lot of
that and a successful procedure, I'll be back in a few months with more
of my project completed.

Best,

Jim

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] Industrial Canyon)