Subject: [Leica] Aleppo in happier times [OT]
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:45:06 -0500

Yes. My perspective on Syria was limited in time and scope, but four of us
traveled freely by car in the summer of '79 and everywhere encountered
friendly, peaceable people who were even tolerant of an obvious Westerner
among them snapping pictures. Stores were open, hotels were accommodating,
the cities bustled, and life seemed fairly prosperous. I even had the
opportunity to strike up a conversation with a professor whose name
translated as "Lamb" while an Iranian mechanic replaced my car's thermostat
at a little garage on a side street in Aleppo. Everyone was interested in
talking to an American and only a few of them asked for my help getting a
visa to come to the US!

I developed a real affection and affinity for Syria and its people, and I'm
heartbroken that a nation that was, at least largely and apart from Hafez
al-Assad's little-publicized repressive measures, so much more placid, safe,
and prosperous under the Assad dictatorial dynasty, is suffering so terribly
as a result of challenging it?while the UN, thwarted by Assad's Russian and
Chinese sponsors and economic partners, is reduced to scolding clucks and
resolutions. The country's going through horrible times that may be the
birth pangs of something new and better, but more likely a disastrous
miscarriage. And how incredible to think that Bashar "Not My Doing" al-Assad
is a physician and surgeon, once an immigrant practicing ophthalmology in
London. What preposterous, twisted paths history takes to give us what's
next.

?howard