Subject: [Leica] IMG: What is reality, man?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:31:19 -0800

Thanks for the comment, Nathan. You may be right. I vacillated between
several of the renderings,
and might have made a different choice on a different day.  My point was
that when nothing is exactly accurate,
and you and the camera "see" differently, there often are several right
choices.

--Peter

 > I hate to say it Peter...but I like the first image best. The blue
video is
 > fine, and creates a nice contrast to the performer, whose skin tones are
 > very nice.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Nathan
 >
 > Nathan Wajsman
 > Alicante, Spain
 > http://www.frozenlight.eu
 > http://www.greatpix.eu
 >
 > YNWA
 >
 > ----
 >
 > On Feb 21, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
 >
 > > This is long, but you may find it interesting. I just spent several
hours
 > > over a couple of days trying to get a picture "right." There were
several
 > > different degrees of "right" and "not right," with no clear-cut
answer.
 > > You might come to a different conclusion than I did. Come into the
 > > kitchen with me and let's see what was cooking. And see the
following four
 > > pictures after my last example for the conclusion of the series.
 > >
 > > On Monday evening I shot a wild and crazy contemporary music festival.
 > > I'm friends with several of the musicians. The festival included
several
 > > pieces where the musicians performed with computer-generated imagery
 > > projected on a big screen, as well as computer-generated sound.
There was
 > > changing stage lighting, and spotlights on soloists that were
drastically
 > > brighter than the ensemble lighting. Fun stuff. :-) I was sitting
in an
 > > ordinary seat in row 3, and did not have stage access. As someone who
 > > plays music myself, and has shot plays and concerts for 44 years, I
pride
 > > myself on knowing how to do things without being heard, disrupting or
 > > distracting. So no changing lenses during the performance, no
chimping,
 > > and no excess fiddling with the camera. I set most parameters
before each
 > > piece, and adjusted exposure by counting detents on my Olympus E-M5's
 > > exposure compensation dial. I ended up using my Pansonic/Leica 25mm
f/1.4
 > > for the whole concert.
 > >
 > > One shot posed a particular challenge. In the piece "Up Close" by
Michael