Subject: [Leica] IR photography with cheap cameras
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:05:01 -0500 (EST)

 The recent posts on the IR capabilities of the Leica M8 prompted me to try
it with my carry camera, an Olympus EPL-1. It works. Here is an IR picture
taken out of my window today of my snowy back yard. The picture was taken
through a Lee high density red plastic filter offering less than 6%
transmission in the visible portion of the spectrum. It was impossible to
focus so I used the Oly body cap fixed focus 15mm f8.0 lens and trusted to
luck to point the camera. The actual image as seen on the computer was a
very deep red, almost black. Brightened and desaturated, this is what I got.
It has been a very long time since I shot actual infra red film but I can
see that fooling around with cheap digital cameras can produce promising
results. It looks pretty ordinary but if there was a lot of foliage and
clouds in blue skies it would be more impressive.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/IR+Photo.jpg.html
Just a note. To see if your camera is capable of imaging IR, just point a TV
remote control into the lens and press a TV control button. If you see a
bright flashing light coming from the front of the control, your camera can
sense IR light.
Larry Z