Subject: [Leica] IMG: Weekend birds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:30:30 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Jim Nichols wrote:

>Your yard setup seems to be very productive.  I
>like the natural perches that you encourage the birds to use.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Jim.  There's a trick (or two) to getting
the birds to perch where I want them.  The perches are arranged to allow for
good lighting and backgrounds (not easy in my yard) and the bird seed and
water features are closer to my blind than the perches.  When the birds
feed, drink or bathe they're vulnerable because they're giving less
attention to potential predators so they'll stop at the perches to check the
area for dangers before proceeding to the feeder or water.  The perches are
also angled so that if the bird doesn't perch at the top of the perch it
will be on the side facing the camera so my view of the bird isn't
obstructed by the perch.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com