Subject: [Leica] Infra-red on the X-Pro1/XE-1
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:57:29 -0800

I tried my (cheap Chinese) 720nm IR filters on my stock Fuji XE-1 camera,
using a 35 Summicron lens.

As Dante has said, there is a big attenuation of the daylight to IR light
through the filter and into the sensor....

Daylight, F:2, no filter, 1/3000 of a second.  Same scene, with filter,
about 15 seconds later, 1/5 of a second.

Roughly 9 stops of attenuation ( Dante said 10, same difference).....

The real problem was not the light attenuation ( you could bump up the ISO
to get most of that attenuation back to improve the shutter speed), but the
degree to which the EVF responds and allows focusing....  It was a dark
finder... and the color was real red/maroon.  No contrast to speak of....

IMHO, the XE-1 sensor may work, but the EVF is too dark to be practical.
The M8 is significantly better choice.....  maybe the X-Pro1 is too....

Hey, maybe those RF cameras have something going for them........

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Take it from someone who has shot the X-Pro1 like this as well as an X100
before and after an IR conversion - the Fuji internal IR filter knocks 10
stops off.

Dante