Subject: [Leica] My Hummer attempt.
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:38:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Gene Duprey wrote:

>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/GRDuprey/hummer.jpg.html

Very nice photo of a very difficult bird to photograph!

This is almost certainly a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  I say 'almost'
because female and immature hummingbirds can be extremely difficult to
identify in the field.

The features that point me toward Ruby-throated Hummingbird are the more
pointed wingtips and the location; it's obviously not an adult male, but
what about immature?  Assuming it's a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, the
immature male would have more of a golden sheen on it's back.  I don't see
that in this photo so I'm going with female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.  Well
done, Gene!

Here's my best photo of this species:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/rthumm00.html

Doug Herr