Subject: [Leica] Sony A7r with R lenses
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 06:35:54 -0800

I bet you are right about the timing.....maybe sooner ( if they have any
marketing guts)

But I would also bet that the N and C offerings will be the same body
thickness as the SLR's of yesteryear.  Sony is pretty unique to have used a
RF/P+S as the basis for their A7 top of the line cameras.  The result is
that Sony A7 has the ability to use Leica M lenses ( as well as almost any
lens ever made) with small body thickness.  I really doubt N or C will make
a top of the line camera with a thin body......

I am also waiting.....
a) for Sony to feel the A7 is not their cuppa or otherwise discontinue it,
and to sell them off at $0.02 on the dollar
b) see if the M lens issues can be resolved... in PS or other....and for
those solutions to be spread all over the Internet....
c) waiting for Nikon to do something, so that the DOF of the VF image is at
full aperture which gives better focusing capability

If all I wanted was a new M(240) I would already have an A7r in my
bag.....Even with the issues associated with the WA lenses and oblique rays.
( just don't use those lenses that give problems).

Through the lens finder, Leica glass, no (expensive) lens calibrations for a
planar sensor, it is a Leicaflex on steroids..... or a M-lensed Visoflex
with see in the dark capability....

Another way to say.... If Leica does not make a professional grade EVF based
camera with M lens mount up front,. They are purely missing the boat.....as
in the previous decision to not make a Digi-M.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Well, had the A7/7r not been released, I certainly would have taken delivery
of a silver M-240 last week. As it is I just asked to be moved back in the
queue by a few months. IMO, at this time it is best to just wait and see how
the market evolves.

My instinct is that by next Photokina C & N will both be showing their own
full frame mirrorless cameras. Let's hope both companies make suitable
adapters to enable their respective SLR lenses to be used with the new
bodies while retaining full functionality.

The beginning of the end.......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I just passed on an M-240 - gave up my place in the queue - and am curious
to know if the A7/A7r will be an adequate solution with the R wideangle
zooms.

Regards,
Akhil

Message from alal at poly.edu (Akhil Lal) ([Leica] Sony A7r with R lenses)