Subject: [Leica] Using Leica lenses on the Sony 7 and 7R
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 05:47:16 -0800

I went to Samys to play with one yesterday....  There were plenty in stock
of each model.

My review is for ergonomics and overall fit and feel.. I leave the image
characteristics to someone else....  I was/am not interested in owning
native mount lenses, so I didn't try any out to any extent.  I will not
comment on native lens line availability ( as there is none).

Good stuff:  The camera is small ( estimated 90% of the size of an
M-anything) and light ( maybe 60% of the weight of a M9), the sound it makes
is not bad, adapters were available in the store for Nikon and Leica ( and
probably more), the VF is really nice and bright and contrasty, the x10 VF
magnification did not introduce a significant delay in shutter response, the
VF was quickly responsive  Nice balance with short LEICA lenses.  Focus with
even an F8 lens was pretty easy inside the store.  The EVF is absolutely a
great feature.  Focus peaking ( in yellow or red) was easy, to say the
least.  A great camera for low light levels and accurate focus.  VF
brightness was constant regardless of ambient light in the scene.

Bad stuff and why.....
Camera is so light and plasticy that it feels like a $129 P+S.
It will probably not balance well with any long or heavy lens.. it will be
quite front heavy.  ( Nocti, 75 Lux, 90 AA, 135, etc.)
Because of the light mass, there is a lessened amount of mass to kill
vibration and noise from the moving shutter mechanism.
There is no feeling of bulk, heftiness, solidity etc.  Even a Nikon D200 (
$250 used in the Samys case) feels more solid.
Too many dials buttons and controls for a newcomer to become comfortable
with immediately....   And probably too much camera if you are going to use
it as I would:  MF lenses, x1 and x10 VF.  Quite a difference to an M3 or
Nikon F.  Not intuitive.
While I am hardly familiar with the controls, the embedded menu has a bunch
of sub-menus.  And sub-sub menus.  Getting to the one control you want is
going to be a memory test.
If you have large hands, you will find no place to put your fingers on this
camera,  It is pretty small, and thin....  There may be a solution to this (
accessory handles) but I did not inquire.
When using a Nikon adapter, the camera/lens combo ( 50 1.4 G lens) feels
even more front heavy than with a 50 Lux.  The lens is way out there.
I did not check out the lens mount, but I personally would not put a 300/2.8
on the camera, and then proceed to carry the combo from the body lugs or
tripod screw on the body....!

Note:  There were lots of comments on how any adapter should be from
Novoflex or Metabones to keep alignment to the gnats eyelashes.  However,
Samys did have cheap Chinese adapters available...  Having seen the
different adapters, forget the Novoflex and go for the Metabones for Nikon G
lenses.  The aperture adjustment mechanism is quite superior.

Note: the $69 Chinese M adapter would not click lock the lens to the
adapter.... the lens was free to rotate ( off the camera to the floor) so I
did not actually try a M lens on the body.  I pointed this out to the
salesman, he put the DEFECTIVE adapter back in stock... !

Now you are probably wondering overall what I thought of the camera... A
absolutely beautiful M9 or M(240) replacement. Maybe the perfect Digi-M. For
MY long Nikon lenses, which tend to be fast and therefore  heavy, and large,
I am not so sure....

And, for those that must have an optical VF in any M body, grow up.  It is
only a VF.  Optical or otherwise.   Embrace the future.

Went home without spending a dime.... for now, but one is in my
future....maybe in a year or so....

YMMV

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net