Subject: [Leica] for those interested in future Leica developments
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:39:48 +1000

CEO Alfred Schopf visited Australia recently and provided an interview to
Paul Burrows, editor of 'Camera' magazine here. It's a very good local
publication and I thoroughly recommend this article (and the magazine) in
their Nov/Dec 2013 issue to anyone who can obtain it.
You can get it as a digital edition apparently at
www.zinio.com/camera

I think that I can quote small portions of particular interest here without
transgression. Perhaps the complete interview will become available?

All direct transcriptions from parts of answers by CEO:

..."to be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure where the D-SLR market is going
to be in the future. The mirrorless cameras are coming on and on and on and
I'm not entirely convinced that in ten years time we will have a D-SLR
market"

When asked will there ever be a Leica compact system camera:

"We will have one, definitely. And it will, of course, be quite different
to M system. We want to have autofocus with such a system and we may well
have an APSC size sensor rather than a bigger one......."

Getting back to Leica's plans for a CSC, Alfred states:
"It will be a German built camera, however I'm not sure we can make all of
the lenses made in Germany because we are talking about a different price
range to M system so I could imagine that we do some fixed focal length
lenses in Germany and maybe with the zooms we will co-operate with a
partner"
He stresses that Leica won't be building on Panasonic's Micro Four Thirds
format.

On film cameras, Alfred Schopf  said:
 "We are now the world's biggest manufacturer of film cameras on the
planet- because we are the only one, more or less. As long as we get orders
we will continue. At the moment we get between 600 and 700 orders per

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] for those interested in future Leica developments)