Subject: [Leica] IMG: what's happening with the vertical blue line? sensor failure?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:47:30 -0700

Adam: The M8 and M9 will sometimes display such lines if there is a hot
pixel. You will get a line the same color as the pixel, starting with
the hot pixel, and running all the way down the frame.  There can also
be a bona fide sensor problem that causes these lines. The latter will
require repair by Leica.

You may be able to determine if it's a hot pixel by taking some pictures
at various ISOs with the lenscap on. Use zero sharpening, and look for
brightly colored squares. If the blue line is always present and
occupies the complete column from top to bottom, then it's more likely
that the entire column is bad . The higher the ISO and more you bring up
the shadows, the more likely these things are to show up, and the more
likely a single hot pixel is to turn into a line. On JPGs, the hot pixel
may appear as a dot, or be processed into a little cross if you look at
high magnification.

If it's just a hot pixel, you can send the camera back to Leica for a
tune-up, and they'll map out the pixel. Or, if you're a PC user, you can
use the free program Pixel Fixer to map out the hot pixel. The line will
disappear as well, it's not real, it's just a processing artifact. You
feed pixel fixer an image taken with the lens cap on and high ISO. It
creates a map file which it then uses to interpolate the bad pixel based
on its neighbors' values. You can run it on individual files, select
files or entire folders (RAW only, not JPG).

See here:
http://www.pixelfixer.org/

Other cameras like my Olympuses (Olympi?) don't have the problem because
they have an in-firmware routine that detects and maps out such hot or
dead pixels. Mit Leica, you haff to send it back to ze Muttership.  Or
use Pixel Fixer.  Only problem is it's a PC/Windows program, no Mac version.

I've happily used Pixel Fixer for years.  Oh, if you use Lightroom, it
can do the same thing Pixel Fixer does. You'll have to get more info
from a Lightroom user, I don't use it.

--Peter

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/32225777_wkgvQx#!i=2825025517&k=n3D8gVM&lb=1&s=O>