Subject: [Leica] Advice for this photo
From: skalte at icloud.com (Susan Ryan)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 04:21:00 +0000 (GMT)

I have worked with this image for some hours now, and I can't get it right.
My usual workflow is to desaturate and optimize as best I can in LR, then
take it into Nik Silver EFEX Pro to see if I can improve it. Usually this
works decently well for me. In this photo I wanted to darken the sky to
separate it from the rock, which I did in LR mostly by working with the blue
luminence and adjusting mid tones. When I take it into Silver Efex there is
a halo around the mountain that I can't make better. I'm not adding much
clarity/structure in either program. I've tried taking it straight into
Silver Efex but I haven't hit mark doing that, either. Maybe it's a workflow
problem, or maybe I'm just too heavy handed. I like the dark lower
foreground and would like to keep those tones if possible.

Here's the version I like except for the sky:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/skalte/The+Castle-1_001.jpg.html

Here's the other that I ended up with, but the sky and foreground are too
bright for my taste:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/skalte/The+Castle-1.jpg.html

Advice?

Sue