Subject: [Leica] Some dragonfly photos
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:13:35 -0700

Went stalking some dragonflies yesterday testing my new lens.  Mixed
results, mostly due to operator error or the wind, I am hoping.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

A pair doing their thing....
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/df/Arboretem-4028.jpg.html

The reeds were very thick, and they were hanging around the shore, so I had
to peer through to get a peek.  This one leaves something to be desired as
far as nailing the focus, but I like the composition so I'll post it anyway.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/df/Arboretem-4016.jpg.html

This one was fairly accessible.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/df/Arboretem-4023.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/df/Arboretem-4008.jpg.html

And this guy was hovering about, and at one point it stayed still long
enough for me to try to lock on, and got this shot on the wing.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/df/Arboretem-4020.jpg.html
Again, not the sharpest shot, but perhaps worthy of a look.

Not sure if I would look at these large, as most are a bit soft and cropped
fairly heavily.

Shot at ISO 400 or 800 and f-5.6.  I probably should have gone to 1600 and
stopped down a bit more for more DOF.  It looks like the lens is a bit
backfocused, so I worked on the fine tune autofocus and gave it a +6.  Might
try this again soon.

Comments and criticism welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired (retarded?) Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson