Subject: [Leica] Margaret Mead on photography
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

 ?Photographs [are] of course heavily dependent upon the culture, the
disciplinary point of view and the idiosyncratic vision of the particular
photographer-analyst.?
Margaret Mead

The comments I made on Margaret Mead showing photographs to South Sea
natives were supposedly published in a book by Gregory Bateson, Margaret
Mead's husband and co-worker. The book "Margaret Mead, Gregory Bateson, and
Highland Bali: 1936 to 1939" was published by the University of Chicago
Press and is available through Amazon.

By his own account Bateson took 25,000 photographs in Bali and he and Mead
took many more in the various islands of he South Pacific. Many were
published in written works relatively unfamiliar to people other than
experts in Balinese culture or on Bateson's and Mead's lives. I confess to
not having read the original work. I heard the statement from Harvard
anthropology professor Clyde Kluckhoen about 1949. Kluckhoen was Mead's
assistant during the 40s. Bateson, rather than Mead was responsible for the
wide use of photography in anthropology. The camera Mead used was a Kodak
Brownie.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Margaret Mead on photography)