Subject: [Leica] Cropped frame lenses
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:31:10 -0400 (EDT)

 Fair enough to the M8 but comparing a smaller APS-C to a fullframe, what
will my full frame lenses do on a cropped frame camera? I am quite happy
with my Leica bodies, I have seen results (raw) from Fuji but do not feel
the slightest urge to buy despite that being easily within my capability ;-)

john

- - - -

Some legacy lenses do better on a smaller frame sensor than on a full frame
sensor. The difficult task for lens designers is to get the edges of the
frame as sharp as the center. Most of my older Leica mount lenses, 50 mm
Summicron, 35 mm Summaron, and /f1.2 50 mm Canon show appreciable fall off
in resolution and illumination at the corners of a full 35 mm frame. When I
use those lenses on a Micro 4/3 sensor, I'm just using the sweet center of
the field and get sharp pictures with hardly any fall off.?The trick is to
stop thinking of a 50 mm legacy lens as a 50 mm lens. Just think of it as a
high speed 100 mm telephoto. You will be much happier.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Cropped frame lenses)